Meaning of Elevated Liver Enzymes

Hello Dr. Holodniy, I just had my six month follow up from starting meds. My CD4 was up to 687 from the 540s and my % was stable at 23%. VL pending but was <50 2 months ago. My question is about my liver enzymes. My ALT was 74 this time which was 1.4x normal. It was 50 in May, 34 in June, and 45 in July. The AST and Alkaline Phos were also just slightly out of the high range. I'm in a study and the studies nurse says not to worry. Is this anything I should be concerned about? Any evidence of developing toxicity after six months? I'm on Sustiva, Epivir, and Videx EC once a day.

Thanks for your insight! David in St. Louis

You don't indicate whether you are taking any other meds besides your HIV meds, or whether you have HCV or HBV infection. If none of these other issues are in play, I would not be concerned at this point.

Steroids and CD4 counts
newly infected