Signifcant VL increase

Hi docs,

Since being diagnosed in Nov 2005, my CD4's have tended to fluctuate between 275-400+ with my CD4% going between 18% - 27% and VL between 7k and 40k. I'm currently not on any meds and the strategy my doc is taking is a "wait and see" approach.

In late July I experienced acute CMV mono infection. A few weeks earlier my CD4's were 275, CD4% was 27% and VL was 18k. The first week of August I went back for a follow-up set of labs and my CD4's were 336, CD4% dropped to 18% and VL skyrocketed to 163k.

Aside from my bout with CMV mono (which my doc believes isn't related to the HIV), I feel fine and have had no other symptoms I can tell.

My question is a) could this VL spike and decrease in CD4% be a result of the acute CMV infection and b) can I expect these numbers to return back to "normal"?

Thanks again, J.

Absolutely. Your description is a classic one and can be seen with all sorts of infections and vaccinations. Your viral load should come back down to preinfection levels.

cryptococcal
hepatitis titers