Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Signifcant VL increase
Aug 26, 2006

Hi docs,

Since being diagnosed in Nov 2005, my CD4's have tended to fluctuate between 275-400+ with my CD4% going between 18% - 27% and VL between 7k and 40k. I'm currently not on any meds and the strategy my doc is taking is a "wait and see" approach.

In late July I experienced acute CMV mono infection. A few weeks earlier my CD4's were 275, CD4% was 27% and VL was 18k. The first week of August I went back for a follow-up set of labs and my CD4's were 336, CD4% dropped to 18% and VL skyrocketed to 163k.

Aside from my bout with CMV mono (which my doc believes isn't related to the HIV), I feel fine and have had no other symptoms I can tell.

My question is a) could this VL spike and decrease in CD4% be a result of the acute CMV infection and b) can I expect these numbers to return back to "normal"?

Thanks again, J.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Absolutely. Your description is a classic one and can be seen with all sorts of infections and vaccinations. Your viral load should come back down to preinfection levels.

Previous
cryptococcal
Next
hepatitis titers

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.