CD4% and PJP Prophylaxis

Dear Dr. Holodniy, I at one time heard at a conference, that you must take into consideration the CD4% in addition to the CD4 count when evaluating for the need for PJP prophy. I believe what was mentioned was that a percent less than 20 required PCP prophy and that the lower the % the more significant the reason to prophy. Could you tell me if this is true, outdated or significant?It seems that every person I ask has a different opinion. I actually think that this was a CDC recommendation at one time.

Thank you for your time,

Go to: http://www.aidsinfo.nih.gov/Guidelines and look at the OI prophylaxis guideline. I believe it is still < 200 or < 14%.

CD4 count 57
cd4 count