Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD4 count 57
Jul 22, 2006

Hi I was diagnosed this past Monday 7/17 to be hiv+ and today I found out that my cd4 count is 57. I know that's very low. The funny thing is, I really feel pretty good ass I"ve been an athlete my whole life(martial arts and weight training.) I'm now 43. I don't know what my viral load is but I'm very scared. Is it too late to gett back to normal immune levels? Please, any input is appreciated

Response from Dr. Holodniy

It's never too late to get diagnosed and get on appropriate treatment. In your case, HIV treatment is indicated now, regardless of viral load level. Treatment will be effective for you, although you may not get your CD4 count increased to normal levels, it will increase sufficiently to get you out of harms way. You are currently at significant risk of developing other kinds of infections because your immune system is so suppressed. Once your CD4 count gets to over 200 the risk goes down signficantly.

Previous
HIV to AIDS
Next
CD4% and PJP Prophylaxis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.