Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CKR5 Heterozygosity
Jul 3, 2006

Dr. Holodniy- I have a question about a lab test that was several years ago. I have been HIV+ for some 25 years, having been positive from when the first tests were available (and likely part of "first wave" of infections in 1980 or 1981).

I have been healthy and only started meds a couple years ago when my labs tanked (CD4 to 185 @ 12% and VL of >2,000,000.

I am presently on Truvada and Kaletra and my last labs indicated a CD4 of 485 @ 15 and a VL of 57. My question is, what exactly is CKR5? My doctor says this was why I was a long term non progressor. Could you explain CKR5 (Ive also seen it expressed as CCR5) thanks for your efforts.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

CCR5 is one of the receptors on the surface (along with CD4) of a CD4 cell that HIV requires to gain entry into the cell and infect it. Some people have been found to have mutations in the gene that codes for this receptor, and these mutations affect and alter the structure of the receptor so HIV doesn't fit as well and infection is not as efficient or depending on the severity of the mutation, infection doesn't happen at all. There are research blood tests that can dtermine whether these mutations are present. In addition, CCR5 inhibitors are also currently in clinical trials.

Previous
Is it safe to stop meds?
Next
number of copies

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.