The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My sister's lab results

Jul 3, 2006

Dear Dr. Holodniy,

My youngest sister is just found out that she is positive in Jan '06. These are her CD4 counts: Jan 24th: 409 (17%); April 20th: 444 (16.46%); June 2nd: 476 (22%). Also, her VL on June 2nd is 11,624. She only did the VL test once.

She's 23, living a healthy life, never uses drug, smoke, or drink. She eats & sleep just like a normal person and exercise regularly. She is currently living in Vietnam.

Her doctor said that she doesn't have to start any treatment at this time. Instead, he just prescribed her multi-vitamins and Thymomodulin 81mg (twice a day).

Would you please give us your second opinion? Does she need to take anything else beside her medications right now? What should she do to improve her health? And what kind of support we should provide to her?

Also, I've learned that Thymomodulin is a medication which is not approved by FDA, but in Italy instead. Can you please educated us a little bit more about this? Is if safe to use for a long period of time?

Thank you very much for your help!

Sincerely, nva.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I agree with her doctor, given her CD4 count and viral load, she does not need HIV treatment now. Thymomodulin is an immune system modulator that comes from calf thymus. Limited clinical trials have suggested a benefit in HIV patients. I do not believe any long term use studies have been published with this drug that report safety or efficacy.

T Cell Count
Cany you tell me where i'm at?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint