The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What labs should I do at this point?

Jun 24, 2006

Dear Dr.Holodniy,

I've been on Kaletra and Combid (Thai version of what I think is called Comivir elsewhere)for 3.5 months. It's time for me to get some labs according the Thai doctor I see. I'll be going to Bangkok in early July to do these. I will have been on the meds 4 months by then.

I'm a 44-yr caucasion male; present health is fine. When I went on the meds in early March 2006, my CD4 was down to 168; viral load was around 70,000. My acute infection was May 2005; experienced a very long period of headaches, fevers and swollen glands up to October 2005; after which CD4 had rebounded from 320 to 380 and viral load had dropped from 120,000 to under 20,000 (August to October 2005 period. Oh, had liver function tests and some other bloodwork done April 2006, 4 weeks after starting meds: all fine; told to continue.

Question: What labs would you recommend I have done at this time? What should I be looking for in the results that would tell me the meds are doing the job and I should continue, or vice versa?

Thank you, Dr. Holodniy for being here for us.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

The recommended quarterly lab tests include a viral load, CD4 count/percentage, liver enzymes, blood count, and lipid panel (triglyceride, total cholesterol, LDL).

CD4 in Freefall
high viral load normal t cell count

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint