Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

High Viral Load?
Jun 24, 2006

It's believed that I was exposed to HIV this past January 2006 and my first and only set of labs were done in May and the CD4 was somewhere around 400, however the VL was something like 420,000 and the Dr didn't have much of an answer for this other that if I did infact get HIV in Jan 06 then maybe the body is still figuring out what's going on within my body. The Dr went on to say that I should have lab work again this coming Aug 06 since that will be 3 months since the 1st set of labs were ran and the #'s should drop. He went on to say that if they don't drop then we need to discuss the possibility of meds. In your experience when dealing with a patient that was exposed within a 6 month period does a VL of 420,000 sound anywhere near normal? What advice or insight can you provide?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Your doctor's observation and advice are reasonable. A person's response to HIV is a very individual thing and depends on the viral strain received and the underlying immune system. It is difficult to predict where a person's viral load will end up after acute infection. Your viral load is quite high and another test in 3 months should help determine where your viral load setpoint will be. There is no urgency to start treatment. But if your viral load stays that high treatment should be started sooner rather than later to preserve CD4 cells and immune function.

Previous
LOW CD4 COUNTS
Next
hiv

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.