Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Recovery of TCells
Jun 18, 2006

Being a fairly new diagnosed person with HIV I am not quite sure how to ask this but here it goes: I know that HIV destroys TCells and it may wipe out entire groups of TCells that were meant to protect us from certain illnesses. Does a person ever regain part of that group that was wiped out? If not, then I assume it leaves us vunerable to those illnesses even though we may be on medication and show an improvement in TCell count. I also assume that our chances of getting ill are greatly increased even though our TCell count may increase because we dont know which group was wiped out? Did I get this correct? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Patially correct. The more advanced you are with HIV infection, the higher the likelihood you will have significant decline in number and function of CD4 cells. Although certain CD4 clones (a specific cell that reacts to a specific antigen or protein) many be lost at different rates, there appears to be enough recovery that people are no longer at risk for various types of infections after starting HIV treatment and gaining significant CD4 count. We know this by our ability to stop certain antibiotic treatment in people with AIDS who had profound CD4 losses and then recovery after treatment because they don't the serious infections anymore.

Previous
genotype
Next
Syphilis and IGM

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.