Are my labs a sign of progress in research?

Hi Dr. Let me first say that the work you all do on this site is soooo informational. I think EVERYONE should read it! Now, here is my background... I found out that I was poz in '03. My partner passed because he was too scared, and wouldn't be tested, and ultimately wasted away. I found out the reason only through the autopsy. When I had my first test, my T's were 3, and my VL 850,000. Today, my T's are 85 @ 14.51%, and VL undetect. My Dr., God bless his heart, calls me his "Miracle Patient". He is top notch, and a specialist in I.D.. My question is, since I walked in a severe AIDS case, now that I am at 14.51%, my doc says in his "book", he no longer conceders me having AIDS, but simply poz, do you agree? He said that the % is more of an absolute answer, than the T count. Thanks for helping all of us, and I hope you can answer this for me. I'm a double-checker, if you can't tell. Ha! Much continued success to you and ALL the Med.s here at this site!!!!!!!!

Well, I think experts would be split on this question. AIDS is defined as a CD4 count of < 200 or 14%. There is not a hard demarcation at 200 or 14%, where above which, no one gets any opportunistic infections. You are still at some risk and many experts would still continue PCP prophylaxis in someone with your numbers.

good CD4/increasing VL x5 yrs
Labs??