Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Difference in 2 weeks
May 28, 2006

Dear Dr, i am recently diagnosed and I would like to ask you about a difference in my results received from different labs. On 24th of March I had a test in the Netherlands (where I study) CD4: 710 and ViralLoad: 6344 and no durg resistance found. Two weeks later, I travelled back to my home country and took again the same typical exams. My CD4 had decreased to 640 and my ViralLoad has increased to 6700 with drug resistance in a small category of 4 drugs. I don't know if it is important to help you, but with my doctor we have tried to define the day of contamination with no succesful precision. it could be maximum 2 years when I had mononucleosis infection (I can't hope that's the correct translation) or minimum Xmas 2005 where i had a urine infection. I have hear that in some patients the HIV moves faster than in others and therefore I am worried I might belong to this small percentage. Thank you very much in advance

Response from Dr. Holodniy

There is no difference between those two viral load results. They can vary by up to 3-fold (3 times up or down) just based on assay variability. Although your CD4 count looks significantly lower, I would not be concerned and suspect the CD4 percent (a more stable number) is probably the same.

Previous
cd4 t cell count
Next
IS POOR CIRCULATION A SYMPTOM OF AIDS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.