low blood platelets
May 20, 2006
ive been diagnosed with hiv since november 2005. at present my cd4 is at 380 and viral load is at 90,000. however my platelets are at 40,000. is this cause for concern? also what options are available for me to get my blood platelets increased? thanks
Response from Dr. Holodniy
HIV infection can be the source of low platelet counts. However, there are other medical conditions that can cause this as well. HIV treatment can help raise the platelet count. In cases where this does not occur, other causes and/or treatments could be considered. Your current count is not dangerously low, but counts < 10,000 could be associated with bleeding episodes.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Can You Get HIV From Blowjob From A Prostitute?
- Bloody Nose After Vaginal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Flu Symptoms After Vaginal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Itchy Rash After Touching Vaginal Sore Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Itchy Red Spots After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Vaginal Discharge After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.