Going for second labs, after URT infection

The facts: HIV+ for 9 months, not on meds, first labs had good numbers (CD4 757, 38% and VL 70 copies). Last week I developed a scratchy throat which turned into a sore throat, cough, accompanied by very mild fever. Viral/bacterial pharyngitis I suppose. Took a course of cefadroxil (500 mg, twice a day, for five days). Felt fine and even went to the gym today (chest and shoulders day). Had one loose bowel movement in the evening (could be related to the fact that I started taking creatine again today, after a hiatus of a month). Now I feel a slight recurrence of the scratchy throat feeling.

My questions: (1) Is it to common to treat URTIs among HIV+ people more aggressively than in HIV- people, especially if they're not on antiretrovirals?

(2) Was my course of cefadroxil too short?

(3) I'm scheduled to go for my second lab tests next week. I know you've said, many times, don't get CD4/VL tests done when you're experiencing an acute infection of some kind. So how long do I wait after all symptoms subside to get bloodwork done? Is a week enough for my numbers to have stabilized somewhat (I'm assuming they're jumping around a little now)? Should I delay the lab tests by a week?

Thanks.

1. Depends on the clinical presentation and stage of HIV infection. 2. Not sure you even had a bacterial infection and therefore the necessity of taking antibacterial agents. 3. I usually recommend 2-4 weeks after an acute infection.

worried sister
Staph infection and HIV