worried sister

My brother has AIDS since 1998--he looks well but he wrote to me confused about stopping his medications because he had undetectable platelet count and his doctor said it was probably the medications--his CD4 count is very low-154 and viral load is 50-liver alt is 63--I am a nurse but I am not very familiar in this disease. I believe that thrombocytopenia is a complication of full blown AIDS and my his counts I think he is in his last stage-I don't think he should stop the medications-but I would think he should be in the hospital getting platelet transfusion?? Pleas help-I don't know what to advise him.

Low platelet counts can be associated with HIV infection and do not necessarily occur only with late stage disease. It can also occur as a result of medications or many other kinds of diseases. A CD4 count of 154 and a viral load is actually pretty good, and although a CD4 count of < 200 confers an AIDS diagosis, these numbers do not indicate end stage disease. There are many issues that may be underlying his doctor's decisions and I don't think all the facts are clear about what is going on here. What are the other blood counts, has he had a bone marrow biopsy, or is this just idiopathic thromobocytopenia? I think you need more info.

high counts
Going for second labs, after URT infection