The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV=AIDS; follow-up question

Apr 23, 2006

Ref: Title. according to your answer to this question, you wrote: undetectable blood plasma viral load does not necessarily mean that there're no ongoing replication in other parts of the body. Question: for those of us who seem to have tested HIV+ but with undetectable viral load (<50), healthy & without medication, is there then any other test that can determine the replication or viral load in other parts of the body despite thru' plama? And what part of other body are this? Would't this then appear like the plama viral load test is not an ultimate test to determine replication/viral load of which can be a danger because it may still be going on in other parts of the body? If no other test available, have'nt scientist's known this kind of cases? Thank you for your continued support! Concerned, NY

Response from Dr. Holodniy

No there is no commercially available test to measure this. That is the subject of sophisticated research labs. The plasma compartment only represents < 5% of the replicating virus when viral load is detectable. That means that most of the virus is elsewhere, but primarily in the lymph nodes. In patients with undetectable plasma viral load, some have very low levels of viral replication that can be measured directly and others require the lymph node cells for instance to be stimulated and turned on to replicate.

what is abs cd4, cd4% and cd4 cd8 ratio
worried wife

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint