Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV dementia
Apr 1, 2006

Every time I think i understand all I may be up against with HIV. A new twist. I was under the impression from everything I've read in these forums that on HAART ...as long as viral loads were maintained undetectable or extremely low and CD4 counts were normal I would be "OK" . I just read a post in the message boards that HAART has no effect on HIV dementia, a viral mediated separate problem from low CD4 immune diseases. So I can be diligent in taking meds, keep my viral load down and CD4 up and not succumb to a immune mediated infection but end up with dementia, maybe a worse fate....

Response from Dr. Holodniy

As with everything associated with this infection, the answer is a qualified perhaps. It is absolutely not universally true that everyone with HIV infection will develop HIV associated dementia. A lot depends on underlying immune system, how low the CD4 count is or was before and during treatment, what other HIV or other associated infections might have been present, other underlying diseases (history of hypertension-stroke, etc), age of a person, etc.

Previous
viral Load
Next
percentages

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.