Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

No Meds, High CD4, Viral Load all over the place
Mar 11, 2006

Hi there,

I've been HIV+ for about 5years now. I have a CD4 count constantly around the 470 mark, but my Viral Load is all over the place, ranging from 700,000 (the highest) to 42,000, and it seems to jump around all over the place between these two figures. I've never been on Meds as my Doctor sees no need for starting meds as my CD4 is constantly so high. He can't however explain why the Viral Load is so changable. I'm in a monogamous relationship with a HIV- guy (so we always practice safe sex). I have however noticed recently that there is a slight correlation between my weight and my VL count. When I start putting on weight, the VL falls (but I start looking pudgy and unhealthy and I feel so unhealthy). The lowest my VL has been has corresponded with when I was the fattest. When I loose weight, my VL skyrockets, but I look really good and healthy and everyone comments how healthy I look, and I feel so much healthier.

Can weight have such a dramatic impact on VL? What else could make the VL so changable (apart from other viral illness such as colds etc which we've ruled out because many of the bloods have been taken when I was seemingly in perfect health.)?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I am not aware that weight has been correlated with viral load levels.

Previous
CD4 / HCV
Next
assay variability

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.