The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

question on lab results

Mar 3, 2006

I will like to get a second opinion on some new lab results that I just got. These are the results that I have received so far: 12/20/2004: CD4% 22.4, CD Abs 557, VL 5396. 4/14/2005: CD4% 21, CD Abs 630, VL 42677. 7/7/2005: CD4% 18, CD4 Abs 576, 15264. 11/10/2005: CD4% 21, CD abs 504, VL 4633. 2/16/2006 CD4% 16.5, CD Abs 413, VL 7839.

These last set of results have me worried since I did see not only a drop in my CD4 count, but in the percentage. However, looking at the previous tests, it looks like the CD4% is going up and down. My doctor mention that I was stable, and I am not trying to second guess him, but obviously I have some concerns that I hope I can put to rest with your opinion (or take the proper action). I also started an exercise program immediately after the November 2005 results and I am wondering if the new results may have to do with that. Any feedback will be welcomed.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I doubt exercise would drop your counts. I think you need another point or two on the line to establish a trend. On the face of it, it looks somewhat concerning. But given the relatively low and stable viral load, I would not be that concerned yet. However, if you see another dip in your CD4 below 400 or 15%, then it is time to take some action and consider starting treatment.

what does it mean for a non-pregant 46 year old to have very high AFP counts with Hep C.
cd4 drop and relatively high viral load

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint