CMV and HIV

Dr Holodniy, I have just been tested for cytomegalovirus and my doctor says that I have it but it doesn't present any risk right now. My concern is for my husband who is negative. What are the risk of me giving cmv to him. Is it a very dangerous virus. Can I get pregnant with cmv and not infect my baby. I have been crying for 2 days over the results for fear that I might have had transferred it to him. how can I not give it to him. we do practice safe sex. i read that cmv is in saliva. should we stop kissing. Also how dangerous is this virus to me. Please help.

You don't indicate what CMV tests were performed that determined you have it. It is likely that an antibody test was performed, indicating past exposure. But like all other herpes viruses, CMV remains present in most all of us, and only causes recurrent infection when our immune system is damaged from things like HIV, cancer chemotherapy or organ transplantation. Where you are in on the HIV spectrum (CD4 count)determines your risk of active disease. It is highly unlikely to occur with CD4 counts > 100. Unless you are currently infectious now, as documented by more specific CMV tests (culture, PCR, etc), it is unlikely you would pass it on. In addition, it is almost certain your husband has been exposed (usually in childhood) and therefore already has immunity anyway.

low testosterone
Drop on my CD4