Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Platelets and CD4 results
Jan 22, 2006

Hello, I would first like to thank the doctors that make this site a lifeline for many people, I have just recieved my latest results, recieving no medication at the moment, CD4 400, 32% and VL of 400,000 previous result (CD4 348,29%, VL 160,000), I am in good health 98KG 5' 10" male and apart from the odd bout of oral thrush and rarely night sweats have no major symptons until this latest test it seems I have a problem with clotting ,more blood has been taken to establish the cause, so does a low platlet count mean anything significant in regardes to the hiv infection? or could it be another problem?, and with my current stats what would the best prognosis before having to start meds?, there also been a increase in blood pressure 142/83 up from my normal 128/65, I would like to leave medication until the point where abstaining could cause major infections, or is this a unwise course of action?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Low platelet counts have been associated with HIV infection, although many other things can cause this condition. Although your CD4 count is fairly good, that high level of viral load indicates to me that treatment should be started sooner rather than later. If other causes are ruled out, starting HIV treatment and getting the virus under control can improve the platelet count.

Previous
Treatment Interuption because of elevated liver
Next
Date of Infection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.