Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Confusing Labs
Jan 21, 2006

Please help me understand my lab results! Infected July 04, Poz Test Sept 04 First Labs Jan 05 CD4: 722 VL:12,000 VL MEASURE: 10 to the power of 4.09 CD4 to CD8 ratio 0.6 Second Labs May 05 CD4: 512 VL 18,000 VL MEASURE: 10 to the power of 4.26 CD4 to CD8 ratio 0.7 Third Labs Sept 05 CD4 522 VL 38,785 VL MEASURE 10 to the power of 4.6 CD4 to CD8 Ratio 0.4

What does VL MEASURE to the power of mean? Is the CD4 to CD8 ratio also your CD percent so 0.4 is 40%?

A friend who is POZ saw my results and said I should be worried about it falling to 0.4 and my VL almost tripling from May to Sept.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

10 to the power of means the logrithmic form of the absolute copy number. In other words a viral load of 12,000 is the same a log10 4.09. The ratio is not the percent. The ratio is the number of CD4 cells divided by the number of CD8 cells. I am not concerned about your numbers. The ratio has decreased because your CD8 count has probably increased, which is actually a good thing. Your CD8 cells are the main cells that fight the virus. That increase in viral load is boarderline significant. Because the assay is not perfect, we usually look for a change of 3 times a value or greater to be significant.

Previous
Acute HIV?
Next
HBV DNA results

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.