Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How do I describe my state of health?
Jan 15, 2006

I am 49 years old. I was diagnosed HIV+ in 1998 with a CD4 count of 30 and a viral load of 1.5 million. I went on welfare for a period of two years. Just prior to testing HIV+ I was diagnosed with a psychotic disorder and major depression. I was treated with Zyprexa and Zoloft. I started returning to work in 2001. I have been on antidepressants (Zoloft, then Cipramil and now Avvanza).

I had an attack of shingles which affected multiple dermatomes in 2002 when my CD4 count had climbed to the mid-400s. I have been working full-time again since 2003. My CD4 count is currently in the 750s.

Different doctors have told me different things about what I have experienced. Some say I have had AIDS, but others say I have had a low CD4 count and some bouts of ill health.

Perhaps I'm a bit naive, but what is an appropriate description of what I have been through. Have I had AIDS for 7 years, or have the definitions changed so much that I fall into another category?

Curious.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You had AIDS, and currently do not. I look at this from the point of where your immune system is today.

Previous
My Hepatitic
Next
Understanding Instability

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.