PML

I was diagnosed with final stages of aids and pml in April of 2004. I have received treatment and follow my doctors advice to the letter as well as taking meds on time. I would like to know if the survival rate has increased for patients with pml and the life expectancy for someone with pml. I also would like to know where I can get a booklet on the effects of pml.

There is not a lot of good detailed info about PML on the web. I am sure you have googled the topic. The Body website has some fact pages and links as well. The incidence of new cases of PML has gone done signficantly in the last several years with the onset of more potent HIV treatment. I have personally seen dramatic improvement in PML in patients who started HIV treatment and had not been on it previously and in some patients who we changed their HIV meds to those that have better penetration into the brain (i.e. AZT, sustiva). Although somewhat controversial, there is some data to suggest that intravenous cidofovir (a drug used to treat cytomegalovirus infection) has resulted in marked improvement in brain function in people with PML, as it is thought to be active against the JC virus (the viral infection thought to be the cause of PML). Several years ago, I used it in a couple of patients and had dramatic results.

any chance? urgent help please
AIDs