The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Detectable after two years

Dec 24, 2005

My husband found out that he had AIDS two and a half years ago. He refused treatment for the first six months and then started HARRT meds. His first combination was Kaletra and Combivir but he developed lipodystrophy and replaced the Kaletra with Sustiva. This combination has worked so far with minor issues presenting themselves along the way. For the last two labs his VL was 80ml per copy and we were concerned but not in a panic. Last week the VL has crept up to 500+, which his doctor believes, is the onset of resistance. We agreed to try the very expensive, very time-consuming option of Fuzeon to try to boost his HARRT regimen. I have done my research and see that this has helped some but 50% of those in trial showed resistance within 6 months. What are the newest figures on this? How long do we wait to see results before trying something else? We know that we were truly blessed to be able to participate in this regimen due to the cost but are we wasting our time? My husband's cd4 has also dropped from the low 600's to low 500's. Even though I am pretty knowledgeable, I still need that dose of reality that only your website can give. Please help.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

If those are the only HIV meds he has received, he is a long way from fuzeon. There are several other meds and combinations that could be tried before going to that.

Low cd4 count

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint