Detectable after two years

My husband found out that he had AIDS two and a half years ago. He refused treatment for the first six months and then started HARRT meds. His first combination was Kaletra and Combivir but he developed lipodystrophy and replaced the Kaletra with Sustiva. This combination has worked so far with minor issues presenting themselves along the way. For the last two labs his VL was 80ml per copy and we were concerned but not in a panic. Last week the VL has crept up to 500+, which his doctor believes, is the onset of resistance. We agreed to try the very expensive, very time-consuming option of Fuzeon to try to boost his HARRT regimen. I have done my research and see that this has helped some but 50% of those in trial showed resistance within 6 months. What are the newest figures on this? How long do we wait to see results before trying something else? We know that we were truly blessed to be able to participate in this regimen due to the cost but are we wasting our time? My husband's cd4 has also dropped from the low 600's to low 500's. Even though I am pretty knowledgeable, I still need that dose of reality that only your website can give. Please help.

If those are the only HIV meds he has received, he is a long way from fuzeon. There are several other meds and combinations that could be tried before going to that.

kids
Low cd4 count