I Have HIV And Lupus

Dr. Mark: I am a 35 year old female. I have HIV since 1997, doing well without meds. Last week, after being concerned about a "butterfly-rash" on my face, I went to a Dermatologist and tested positive for Lupus. (I have the lab results but di not yet have a chance to speak to my HIV Doc.)(The ANA test came back very high at 935, as well as the Anti-DNS at 547, and the Smith Antibodies at 227.) My question is-What happens next? Will my HIV accelerate due to the Lupus? Thanks

There is not a lot of good data to know how often lupus occurs with HIV infection. Lupus is a disease of immune system activation, which is the opposite of HIV. It can affect a variety of organs like the kidney and brain, or it can be fairly inactive. It may complicate HIV, in that some of the treatment required are drugs which reduce the immune system response, which again is what HIV does. There are cases in the literature of successful lupus treatment in HIV infected people, but it can be tricky. Your case will require careful coordination between your HIV doc and a rheumatologist who will probably be managing the lupus portion.

HIV positive AFTER prior vaccination...
drastic delcine in tcell