Dec 10, 2005
New HIV+ diagnosis. What is a CMV IGG positive test and what does it mean?
Response from Dr. Holodniy
It refers to a positive antibody test to cytomegalovirus (CMV), which is a member of the herpes virus family. Almost all people in the US have been exposed to CMV, usually as children and are antibody positive. People are "chronically" infected, but the virus is dormant, unless there is a loss of immune function like AIDS or transplant patients on immunosuppressive drugs. Then the virus can cause active infection.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Coated Tongue After Licking Vagina Worried I Have HIV
- Sore On Tongue After Swallowing Precum What Are The Chances Of HIV
- White Discharge After Insertive Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- How To Get Rid Of An Std?
- How To Get Rid Of Vaginal Discharge?
- Are There Rare Hiv Infected Who Don't Develop Antibodies?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.