Acute Infection

Hello, I have a question regarding treatment in acute infection. I began treatment with trizivir/kaletra one month after being infected. Within 3 days my viral load dropped from 70k to 5k, and I went to undetectable in less than three months. My cd4 percent however has been highly variable - this includes both absolute count and percents. I bounce between the 300 and 600 range, and my % varies from 30% to 40% to 30%. I was initially monitored weekly and then monthly. My doctor who is a highly regarded HIV specialist says this is to be expected given treatment during acute infection. I wonder if the instability means there could be a separate problem going on? When patients begin treatment in the acute phase, it it common for cd4 cells to bounce around because treatment began before patients reached viral set point?

Thank you for your time!

I agree with your doctor. You don't indicate how long you have been on treatment, but if you are within 6 months of infection there could be bouncing around with or without treatment. Unless you are having other kinds of symptoms, it is hard to invoke that something else is going on.

ALK PHOS?
HIV or AIDS