numbers

Doctor I have a new partner who is HIV+ and I need help understanding what the cell count numbers indicate. He has been HIV+ for 3 years. He is not on medication and and had a relatively stable CD4 650-700. He's had a low to near undetectable viral load and a high CD8 cell count. He didn't give me those exact numbers. Unfortunately his move from TN TO TX resulted in loss of health insurance so for the time being we are unable to get more bloodwork done. He says his former doctor thinks he has a good chance the disease will progress slowly. Is that true?

Those numbers indicate that his immune system is currently able to control the viral infection. It certainly is a good sign after 3 years of infection. Long term lack of progression requires more time to determine if that will be the course.

Cd8s, flow cytometry, NK-cells
CD4 CELL COUNT