2 months of labs

I was diagnosed as positive in late August 2005. I was in the process of volunteering for a new vaccine trial...I didn't make the cut. At that time my VL was 490 and cd4+ was 605. I enrolled in another research program to monitor progress of HIV. Just wondering your thoughts on my trends: late aug: VL 490; cd4 605 mid sept: VL 1450; cd4 590 late sept: VL 2900; cd4 598 33% mid oct: VL 14,150; cd4 590 37% late oct: VL 12,000; cd4 508 33%

An interesting set of numbers and trend. I don't have an explanation for the acute 10-fold increase in viral load. The CD4 count and percentage are actually quite stable and within a normal range. Was there any intercurrent illness (cold, flu) or did you receive any vaccine? These might account for such an increase. I assume the viral loads were all performed at the same lab. Interlaboratory variability could also account for these differences.

viral load
Viral Lode