Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD4 Fluctuation
Nov 4, 2005

Hi Doctor,

I was infected three years ago. About two months before i was infected i had a CBC done. One of my counts were Lymph total:1450 approx 28% WBC total: 5200. My doctor said that this was absolutely fine and within normal range.

It has now been three years, my Lymph total has risen to almost 3000. My CD4 has risen to over a 1000, and so has my CD8 values. My percentage has risen considerably.

My doctor has indicated although the total is high it still normal, and this is a good response to the Disease. I asked him what he though my CD4 count would have been in that 1400 count. He said it would be difficult to say without a t cell count, but it would have probably been around 750 -800. Which is average.

My questions are:

1. Do you agree with my Doctor's guess, and if so, why has it increased as this goes against everything i read about the disease?

2. Why has my CD8 value risen?

3. would this be the raeson for my lymph nodes swelling and regressing?

thank you Dr. Mark.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

1. His guess is in the ball park. I assume you are not on treatment to account for the CD4 increase. You may be lucky in having an immune system that is capable of handling the infection on its own without the need for treatment. 2. That is a natural and good response to HIV infection. 3. Perhaps.

Previous
Eratic CD4 and VL -- Interpretation?
Next
my Cd4

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.