new diagnosis/scared/uncertain

I was diagnosed on October 11, 2005. I am not a high-risk individual and could have been exposed 7 years ago due to blood getting in a cut I had. I did a follow-up test for verification and these are the numbers:

CD4 is 457 at 17% CD8 is 1559 at 58% Ratio is 0.29 Viral Load is 12,000 with a 4.1 log.

Your site has been extremely helpful in understanding some of these numbers. Thank you for that as this has been a very vexing stage of my life. My infectious disease doctor, highly regarded and considered one of the best in my state, wants to start me on Trizivir immediately. Just curious if this is an appropriate response, I want to stay as healthy as possible and will do whatever is needed to accomplish this. Any insight you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your responses on this site, information is the beginning to understanding and acceptance.

There are two issues to consider here, are your CD4 count and viral load at a point where treatment is required and is the regimen suggested the correct one? In my opinion, your CD4 count and percentage are high enough and your viral load low enough, you don't need treatment right away. Current guidelines suggest treatment for people with CD4 counts < 350, or if > 350, the viral load should be > 100,000. Trizivir is a 3 drug combination and very convenient given as one pill twice daily. Your viral load is low enough that trizivir may be effective in you. However, many experts would recommend alternatively 3-drug regimens with drugs from at least 2 different classes of HIV meds, as studies have shown there may be more treatment failure with trizivir compared to other regimens.

treatment
How long have I had HIV