why do some people go without meds?

Hello, my boyfriend is HIV+ and takes his meds religiously. He was diagnosed after he showed signs of a week immune system back in 1999. He is pretty much undetectable. If he were to go off his meds, his health would decline. Why do some people go years without taking meds and maintain good health? Why not my boyfriend?

Part of the answer has to do with a person's underlying immune system and the capability to control the virus on its own and part has to do with what kind of virus was transmitted to a person. Everybody is different, which makes it so hard to predict how people will do with the infection.

Very High Viral Load
AIDS Diagnosis ???