Mar 28, 2001
Dr. Holodniy, I am curious. HIV-1 RNA or DNA sequence, does it resemble any other viruses, or specific cell type especially from humans. False positives in PCR tests, can it be due to RNA/DNA similarity at certain portions of the sequence. And PCR HIV-2 does not exist. Why can't we determine HIV-2 sequence, and HIV-2 sequence, is it vastly different than HIV-1 sequence?
| Response from Dr. Holodniy
The virus is very unlike other viruses. HIV-2 has about 60% of it's sequence the same as HIV-1. False positives are most likely due to operator/technical issues and not sequence homology to other pieces of DNA.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Blood In Urine After Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Balls After Kissing Cold Sore Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Itchy Red Spots After Sensual Massage Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Painful Ejaculation After Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Sore On Tongue After Swallowing Precum What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Tingling In Fingers After Drinking Water Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.