intepretation of viral load
Aug 21, 2005
I was diagnosed with hepatitis C and my viral load is 5.5--I am advised that this is high and treatment should be initiated. Please explain what the 5.5 viral load means.
Response from Dr. Holodniy
This could either mean 5.5 million copies/mL of blood or 5.5 logs (about 350,000 copies/ml of blood). Treatment is not based solely on viral load copy number but on a variety of factors, including extent of liver damage (may require liver biopsy) and other things that your doctor should be looking for and telling you about.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Testicular Pain A Symptom Of HIV?
- Is Tingling In Fingers An Acute Symptom Of HIV?
- Sex With A Prostitute Scared I Have AIDS
- Flu Symptoms After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Vagina After Having Sex During Period Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Is It Possible To Have Sores On You Private Part Without It Being An Std?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.