Constant MRSA

In the last year I've had 6 MRSA infections which required lancing and antibiotics. The last one I had put me in the hospital because we discovered I was resistant to Doxycylene. My labs in May 2005 were: Tcell 753, VL 2060. Which is pretty much what they've been for the last 3.5 years. However, I'm really getting tired of having an abscess lanced and taking antibiotics and wonder if HIV medications would put an end to this hell?

Mike

There is no real data to answer your very important question. My hunch is that starting HIV treatment would not alter these MRSA infections in you. We have plenty of people on HIV treatment who get MRSA infections. I would look more at whether you are a carrier and need to get "decolonized". In other words getting rid of staph carriage in your nose and other places on your body that might serve as a reservoir for recurrent infection. Also, are you getting reexposed some place (i.e. the gym, baths, other places) that could serve as a way to get reinfected. Finally, are you getting a sufficiently long enough period of treatment to eradicate the infection? Or are the treatment courses too short and therefore not curing the infection.

Truvada vs. Combivir
afp blood levels