Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD3+CD4+cells?? part2
Jul 30, 2005

Viral load in 1999 was 24000 now its 60000. I have not been on any antiretrovirals just some herbs and antibacterials/antifungals. Question is regarding my previous topic, am i getting better or worse steadily?? I have a declined T4/T8 ratio but an increase in absolute CD4 count number and and a doublefold increase in CD8 numbers. Whats going on? Are lab tests a bit not so specific about whats going on, since i feel tired 15 hours a day, i sleep most throughout the day and fungal and other types of infections keep adding up. Lately i also noticed a total change in my face and body fat redistribution - i thought it had to do with people on HAART meds only-

|Ok i have this test result in 1999 stating: CD3+CD4+cells 34.1% and expected ratio 42.0-58.0%(663-1477) CD3+CD8+cells 27.2% with expected ratio 22-30.0 % (342-754)

CD3+Cells at 67.7% and expected ratio 69.5-81.3%

cd4/cd8 ratio=1.3

3 months ago i retested and have the following results

T4%= 32.9 cells 754 T8%= 33.1 cells 759 T3%= 74.5 cells 1709 ratio T4/T8 = 1

questions a)am i getting better or worse?? CD4 cells have raised but ratio has gone down to 1 from 1.3- yet CD8 cells have raised as well to bring the ratio down

b) how do they estimate them T4 and T8 absolute counts?? Does the T3% consist of T4+T8 percentage only?? I dont really understand the maths behind this.

c) In the first case, when i had CD3+CD4+ cells 34.1% with expected range from 42-58% does this mean that my T4 cells where 34.1%. I dont understand the term CD3+CD4+ cells. Is it the same as T4??

Thanks for your time, if you pls explain i will be most grateful|

Response from Dr. Holodniy

That difference in viral load is within the variability of the assay. In other words, not a significant change over 6 years. Your CD4 count and percentage are fabulous. The CD8 count usually goes up in response to HIV infection. Thus, most people's ratio will go down. T3 or CD3 cells are all t cells and some other lymphocytes, which include CD4 (helper) and CD8 (suppressor) cells. So some labs express CD4 cells as CD3+CD4+ cells.

Previous
hiv meds and pregnancy
Next
Arestin and urine

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.