Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

resistance test
Jul 3, 2005

Doctor, 6 years poz, 210 cd4, vl 500k, treatment naive. My doctor prescribes 3TC, Sustiva, Viread. Before taking, I ask for resistance test. He says marginally helpful but OK. Says he'll send to the lab blood collected from me earlier. Results don't come back until yesterday. I started drugs on Sunday. Here's the problem: (Absent lab/office error) I have mutations at 41L, 43Q, 118I, 210W, 211K, 215S, 10I, 33F, 46I, 48V 54T, 71V 74S 82A. Question: Is is possible to have these break through in treatment naive person 6 years after infection? What happened to wild virus theory? Two days of therapy now. Should I keep taking drugs while doctor sorts this out? (Don't want to lose Sustiva) What would you do now if you were me? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

That resistance test results indicates evidence of at least AZT and saquinavir resistance. If you have never received treatment, then the only possibilities are recent contact and exposure to someone with resistant virus or lab error. It would be unlikely that all those mutations would have hung around for 6 years after your initial infection. All that said, there are NO fatal mutations present to any of the drugs you just started. It would certainly be worth getting another resistance test this coming week. Your viral load should still be high enough even after having started treatment last week to be able to do the test. I would continue with what you are on currently. If on repeat this is real, it may require an additional agent, to get a multidrug resistant virus with a viral load of 500K to undetectable levels.

Previous
Resistance?
Next
Amazed by VL drop.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.