Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Another Platelett Question
Jul 3, 2005

Dr. Holodniy, I read several of your responses to low platelett questions and read what is available on aidsmeds.com. My situation is this. i amstarting treatment in about 2 weeks. Current numbers vl 56000 CD4 298 with a platelett count of 36000, has never been that low, down from 96000 in March. Otherwise I am in excellent health. Am starting treatment July 15th ( my Dr is on holiday next week) and I want to start on a weekend. My question to you is threefold 1: in several posts you said that HIV therapy is associated with a rise in platelett count, is there a time frame for this ? or does it vary person to person. 2: Should I be on aprophylatic now ? 3: I read on aidsmeds.com that under 30000 the risk of a stroke greatly increases(hence my concerns) are there any lifestyle changes to make (at least on a temporary basis), I have maybe 2 drinks a month, I have about 5 or 6 cigarettes a day (those stopped yesterday) and am very active physically (biking, swimming, gym workouts etc) and I am 48 years old. Thank you for your time. Jon.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

1. Varies in terms of timing and level of increase. 2. No. 3. No other lifestyle changes. Cigarettes had to go. The amount of alcohol is OK. Avoid lots of aspirin.

Previous
Where are the Medicines with Less Side Effects?
Next
When is HIV AIDS?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.