Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

2 days between cobra and new insurance
May 3, 2005

after leaving my previous job, i elected to enroll in cobra until i found a new position. that time is now (thankfully!), so i am wondering how to handle the transition from cobra to my new company's insurance. i am paying cobra on a monthly basis, currently have paid through april. my new job begins on may 2, and the company's info packet says health coverage begins on my first day of employment. this will leave one day, may 1st, during which i will have a lapse in coverage. from what i've read, this should be fine since this is less than 63 days, but i wanted to verify that i will not be caught by any pre-existing conditions clauses by having that one day of lapse. if so, i would much prefer to simply pay cobra for the entire month of may to prevent any issues.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

The one day gap in coverage will not create any problems with respect to any pre-existing condition clause that your new employer's plan might have. If your new employer's plan has a pre-existing condition clause, you will need a certificate of creditable coverage from your prior health plan which will provide the period you were covered under the plan both as an active employee and as a COBRA participant.

Previous
Falling lymphocytes
Next
QUESTION CONCERNING CD4 LEVEL

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.