Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lab Results
Apr 29, 2005

I tested HIV+ on april 4, 2005 with orasure. I went into the clinic and had blood drawn and it came back quant, rna pcr < 400 copies/ml my cd 4 is 27.7 percent. I am concerned because I was told I may be a long term non-progressor and that when i come in again in 2 months i will have more information. I am just wondering if that pcr result is stating that I was found to have HIV in my system but It was not able to give an exact number or do i need to request another test. I don't know what the actual western blot strands showed i went to a clinic so i am still wondering could there be a false positive or do i have a differnet type that wasn't picked up by the pcr(i have been researching on the internet) and their are actually more copies in my blood cd4/cd8 ratio was .84 %cd4 27, %cd8 32

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You don't indicate what the actual western blot confirmatory test result was. I presume it was positive. It is certainly possible to have positive screening antibody and confirmatory tests with an undetectable viral load.

Previous
Resistance so soon?
Next
cd4/cd8 ratio: 1.6, high cd4+cd8

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.