Appendectomy, smoking cessation and sudden CD4 rise?

History:

March 2003: Blood drawn for a test which came back negative (my first test). I asked for a blood test rather than the OraSure test, due to 1 - 2% false negatives / false positives.

November 2003: Estimated date of exposure and transmission.

Nov/Dec 2003: Extreme fatigue, tired, flu like symptoms. I thought it was a reaction to the flu shot at the time. In retrospect believed to be primary infection.

Jan 2004: Asked my doctor for a Hep C test (which was negative), even though he said sexual exposure was rather rare. He suggested an HIV test, which to my surprise came back positive.

Jan 28th 2004 (i'll never forget that day): CD4 589 Viral Load 436,000

May 2004: CD4 711 Viral Load 24,580

Sept 2004: CD4 543 Viral Load 3,575 - (I was taking a then legal over the counter supplement, with exercise outside any medical direction, 4-androstenedione, which I discontinued due to possible aggression. That would explain why both are lower, right?)

February 4th - Drove to a local hospital via ER for Appendicitis w/ Peritonitis, could barely walk. Had surgery the next day. Utilized the pre and post surgery pain medication as an opportunity to quit smoking (and I'm still smoke free 49 days later - I tell people I quit via a morphine drip)

March 11 2005: CD4 1,009, waiting on Viral Load.

I'm quite glad about the practical doubling of my CD4 counts, but how did it come about? How is the appendix related to immune function, or is this a result of the fact that I quit a 2 pack a day habit? I take no antiretroviral medication, and my exercising lasted about 4 weeks.

I can't explain your numbers, although it appears that your immune system is doing a good job of containing the virus on it's own without the need for meds at this time.

Understanding labs & drug changes
How can I control major constipation?