Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Appendectomy, smoking cessation and sudden CD4 rise?
Mar 27, 2005

History:

March 2003: Blood drawn for a test which came back negative (my first test). I asked for a blood test rather than the OraSure test, due to 1 - 2% false negatives / false positives.

November 2003: Estimated date of exposure and transmission.

Nov/Dec 2003: Extreme fatigue, tired, flu like symptoms. I thought it was a reaction to the flu shot at the time. In retrospect believed to be primary infection.

Jan 2004: Asked my doctor for a Hep C test (which was negative), even though he said sexual exposure was rather rare. He suggested an HIV test, which to my surprise came back positive.

Jan 28th 2004 (i'll never forget that day): CD4 589 Viral Load 436,000

May 2004: CD4 711 Viral Load 24,580

Sept 2004: CD4 543 Viral Load 3,575 - (I was taking a then legal over the counter supplement, with exercise outside any medical direction, 4-androstenedione, which I discontinued due to possible aggression. That would explain why both are lower, right?)

February 4th - Drove to a local hospital via ER for Appendicitis w/ Peritonitis, could barely walk. Had surgery the next day. Utilized the pre and post surgery pain medication as an opportunity to quit smoking (and I'm still smoke free 49 days later - I tell people I quit via a morphine drip)

March 11 2005: CD4 1,009, waiting on Viral Load.

I'm quite glad about the practical doubling of my CD4 counts, but how did it come about? How is the appendix related to immune function, or is this a result of the fact that I quit a 2 pack a day habit? I take no antiretroviral medication, and my exercising lasted about 4 weeks.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I can't explain your numbers, although it appears that your immune system is doing a good job of containing the virus on it's own without the need for meds at this time.

Previous
Understanding labs & drug changes
Next
How can I control major constipation?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.