Rising CD4 + Rising VL

Dear Doc, I am asymtomatic, not on meds and was infected sometime between June 2003 and June 2004.

My CD4 has risen over the last 6 months from 407 to 447 and now 568 measured at 3-monthly intervals.

During this time the VL has correspondingly went from 22000 down to 11000 and back up to 22000.

I have had no illness whatsoever apart from an outbreak of minor herpes about the time of the middle test.

I cannot understand why the VL actually dropped while I had the herpes outbreak and why the CD4 continues to rise even with the recent doubling of the VL. The results at first glance appear to be incongruent.

Please advise.

Although at first appearance this appears to be a significant difference (a doubling or reduction in half), this is well within the assay variability and would not be considered a significant difference.

Viracept/Epivir/Viread
creatine kinase