Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Rising CD4 + Rising VL
Mar 20, 2005

Dear Doc, I am asymtomatic, not on meds and was infected sometime between June 2003 and June 2004.

My CD4 has risen over the last 6 months from 407 to 447 and now 568 measured at 3-monthly intervals.

During this time the VL has correspondingly went from 22000 down to 11000 and back up to 22000.

I have had no illness whatsoever apart from an outbreak of minor herpes about the time of the middle test.

I cannot understand why the VL actually dropped while I had the herpes outbreak and why the CD4 continues to rise even with the recent doubling of the VL. The results at first glance appear to be incongruent.

Please advise.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Although at first appearance this appears to be a significant difference (a doubling or reduction in half), this is well within the assay variability and would not be considered a significant difference.

Previous
Viracept/Epivir/Viread
Next
creatine kinase

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.