Viracept/Epivir/Viread

I was diagnosed in June 04 while undergoing chemotherapy for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL). I have been on Viracept, Viread, and Epivir since diagnosis. I have gone from viral load of 14k and CD4 of 12 to viral load of 219 and cd4 of 99. A resistance test was done as I have not gotten undetectable yet, but current thought is the chemotherapy, which ended in November is keeping my CD4 low and WBC low and not letting my immune system help control the virus. Question: Is the regimen I am on a "good" one? And is it so unusual to take so long to go to undetectable. By the way the cancer is in remission. Thanks

The chemotherapy may have indeed affected your bone marrow's ability to generate new cells including T cells. This may or may not recover completely. In general, we might wait up to 6 months for a viral load to become undectable. Your case is complicated somewhat by NHL treatment, but I would suggest a midcourse correction for your HIV meds now in order to get to undetectable and to prevent resistance from developing. That could be as simple as adding one med to "intensify" your regimen, or change the viracept to a different boosted protease inhibitor like Kaletra or reyataz plus norvir.

Just a thank you
Rising CD4 + Rising VL