Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Viracept/Epivir/Viread
Mar 20, 2005

I was diagnosed in June 04 while undergoing chemotherapy for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL). I have been on Viracept, Viread, and Epivir since diagnosis. I have gone from viral load of 14k and CD4 of 12 to viral load of 219 and cd4 of 99. A resistance test was done as I have not gotten undetectable yet, but current thought is the chemotherapy, which ended in November is keeping my CD4 low and WBC low and not letting my immune system help control the virus. Question: Is the regimen I am on a "good" one? And is it so unusual to take so long to go to undetectable. By the way the cancer is in remission. Thanks

Response from Dr. Holodniy

The chemotherapy may have indeed affected your bone marrow's ability to generate new cells including T cells. This may or may not recover completely. In general, we might wait up to 6 months for a viral load to become undectable. Your case is complicated somewhat by NHL treatment, but I would suggest a midcourse correction for your HIV meds now in order to get to undetectable and to prevent resistance from developing. That could be as simple as adding one med to "intensify" your regimen, or change the viracept to a different boosted protease inhibitor like Kaletra or reyataz plus norvir.

Previous
Just a thank you
Next
Rising CD4 + Rising VL

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.