Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

undetectable but falling Cd4 counts
Mar 19, 2005

I was infected in 1981, and have been on the cocktail since it was possible. I have been watching my CD4 cells climb slowly but steadily until they had eventually reached over 800 from a low in the early 1990's of 160. In the last year they have been dropping through the 600's down to the mid 400's now but the percentage has risen to 22% My doctor says that I am healthy and that the percentage is more important and that I just have less white cells altogether. After all these years of watching numbers and basing my progress on a slow and steady rise, it is hard to feel confident that this big a drop is not cause for worry. Have other long term HAART therapy patients experienced this drop? I feel fine but like many people I know with HIV we worry about things changing because of the disease or the meds. I have never had a detectable level sice I started testing and have only changed meds because of elective reasons(looking for less side effects or easier dosage) Thanks for any info.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I tend to agree with your doctor's assessment. The absolute numbers can vary more than the percentage and are subject to fluctuations in total white blood cell and lymphocyte counts. As long as you are feeling well, your viral load is undetectable, and your CD4 percentage stays at that level, you will do fine. Given your longetivity with infection, time is definitely on your side.

Previous
Undetectable and not on meds
Next
LTNP?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.