Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Unexpected CD4 % trend
Mar 19, 2005

Hi, Dr. Holodniy:

Thank you for your outstanding forum.

I have been HIV poz for three years. Lowest CD4 count was 600, which was three months after infection. Lowest CD4 percent was 34% a year after infection and in the 44 to 48% range since. Most recent CD4 percent was highest ever - 52%...three years into this disease, CD4's 1,020.

I had thought that CD4 percents went down every year....how usual or unusual are my numbers and trends and how significant? I'd be glad for them, except that I have had bad symptoms since day one...could this be due to an overactive immune system?

Many thanks.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

If you are not receiving HIV treatment, then you are definitely in the minority with those excellent CD4 counts and percentages. You don't indicate your viral load, but I suspect it is on the low side or undetectable. The loss of CD4 cells over time is based on older natural history studies in the absence of treatment. There exists a small percentage (<5%) who maintain stable high CD4 counts like yours and do not progress. Your symptoms may indeed be related to an active immune system.

Previous
Lymph Node Removal
Next
Hepatitis Test result

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.