Second opinion?

I was diagnosed in Oct 2004. I became very ill with an extremely high fever and was hospitalized. I was first diagnosed with viral meninigitis, and then they tested me for HIV. I was told after that I almost died and that my viral count was 750,000.

I live in NYC and have an excellent physician who works primarily with HIV/AIDS. I began taking Trizivir, Reyataz and Norvir immediately. The Trizivir made me anemic so he switched that one to Epzicom. I take these once a day. At the beginning of March my T cells were 917 and my viral count was undetectable. I have little to no side effects from the meds, so all in all I feel extremely lucky.

My question is whether I should seek a second opinion. Everything I know about my HIV, labs, and meds is through my doctor. I have no reason to doubt him, but of course I worry about everything now. This has been a lot to grapple with, and I want to make sure I am taking the right medications and doing the right things to be okay.

(Male, age 32)

Thanks.

Sounds like this doc is a keeper. I don't think you need a second opinion. I base that on your results and the attention he paid to side effects and the minor adjustment in meds that were appropriately made.

HTLV +/need for further testing?
Herpes attack/CD4's and accelerated HIV progression?