Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Viral Load Pattern
Mar 6, 2005

I tested positive at my annual physical 12 months ago. I obviously contracted the hiv virus sometime within the preceeding 12 months. The initial lab results were t-cell count of 300 and viral load of 31,000. Six months later the numbers were 240 t-cell/76,000 VL and at nine months at 250 t-cell/120,000 VL. It's been a full year now and my levels are at 170 t-cell and down to a 10,000 VL. Has it taken this long for my body to adjust the viral load on it's own before I will have to begin meds? I visited doctors 2 years prior to my hiv diagnosis because of a low WBC ranging 2.4-3.00. RBC is still within lab limits. I even underwent lymph node biopsy and bone marrow surgery before my family doctor told me that I tested positive. I've not experienced any ill health effects for years or to date. I look and feel great. Am I really so asymptomatic still? Any comment? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Given that trend and current CD4 count HIV treatment is highly recommended now. The low total WBC count could also be contributing to the lowered CD4 count that you are seeing as the CD4 number would be a fraction of the lymphocyte count that is part of the WBC total.

Previous
Follow up: viral load measurement
Next
Viral Load-CD4

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.