The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Changing Doctors

Mar 6, 2005

I know this is an age-old topic, however it's not for me. This is the 1st time I have changed doctors. As a matter of fact this is the 1st time I have ever had to deal with this type of situation. I was diagnosed in June of 2003. My PCP referred me to the ID doctor that I am current seeing. I have decided to find another doctor. I'm not sure if my reasons are valid or not. But these are the reason why. He only see's patients on Monday morning 8-12 and Wed. 1-5. Other than that I cannot see him nor can I see any other doctor in the practice and there are 3 others. If I get sick, and I have, on Wed, I am lucky to get an appointment by the following Wed. (which is 7 days apart). It's difficult to even get that. When I have been sick with flu, side effects from meds etc. I'm always told by the nurses "It's post nasil drip". Even when I was having hypersensivity to Trizivir (I was having a fever of 101-103, body aches, muscle joint aches, soar throat, insominia. This lasted for 4 weeks) I was told that I had post nasil drip and that I need to go and see my PCP. My PCP would tell me that I need to go and see my ID specialist. After dealing with being sick for a month, having numerous blood test, urine test that all came back fine, I decided to take a couple of days break from the Trizivir and I IMMEDIATELY got better. I finally got an appointment to see the ID doctor, he said "well, I guess it was the trizivir and it's a good thing you stopped taking it. The next regimen I started on was truvada and sustiva. After 3 months of the worse anxiety, depression and insomnia he dropped the sustiva. He did this via phone (It took 3 calls to get him to call me back). He said he wanted to start me on reyataz. I asked him "What are the side effects? He said, I don't know off the top of my head". I have not started the new meds until I can find a doctor who can tell me the side effects of what medications he wants to put me on. He is board certified in HIV, very polite etc, etc. I just don't feel comfortable with him anymore. My other question is should I make him aware that I'm leaving his care or do I just cancel my next appointment and never say anything? Thank you for your reply.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You are certainly within your right to change doctors if you feel it is in your best interest. You can either choose to call the office and notify them out of courtesy, or have the new office call and request your records, which will inform them indirectly.

Undetectable 50 or 75
Resistance test a must?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint