The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv positive couple

Feb 27, 2005

I'm newly diagnosed hiv +. Possibly aquired it last summer (flu symtoms). I may have infected my partner. He's getting tested. I got a few questions... 1) What is the minimum amount of time that an hiv test would accurately give a result?

2) Is the mouth swab any less accurate?

3) If my partner does end up being positive...if the virus came from me, and neither of us are on medication as of yet, can we "safely" have unprotected sex (not taking into consideration any other STD's).

And an unrelated question... You keep mentioning "cell marker". What is that as apposed to a "cell"?

Sorry for hogging up the questions. :)

Response from Dr. Holodniy

1. Unfortuantely I will not answer this question as it evokes constant chatter in these forums from uninfected worried well and others. 2. No. 3. I Would NOT advise such a strategy of unprotected sex. Although you may have passed on the same parent strain of virus, each of your immune systems is different and therefore the evolution of viruses within you maybe different. This could cause issues in the future regarding each of your immune systems ability to cope with new viruses. One also has to consider the possibility that one's partner could be having unprotected sex with someone else, thus introducing yet another strain into the mix. 4. I must have spaced out, I am not sure in what context I may have stated cell marker.

More on CD4 & VL Counts
viral load measurement

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint