Confused

My cd4 count has always been low even on treatment ranging from 50-200. Ive been on treatment for 7 months but it stays around 200. My viral load has never been above 10 000, which is good even without any treatment. Why is that? I thought the lower the cd4 count the higher the viral load will be. My viral load is <50 within 2 weeks of starting HAART(down from 9000) Lauri

Although one would think that there is a consistent relationship with CD4 count and viral load that is not always the case. We see cases like yours and cases with CD4 counts of > 500 and viral loads > 100,000. It depends on the viral strain and your underlying genetics. In many cases like yours when people start with low CD4 counts viral load is controlled quickly, but the CD4 count can take many months or sometimes years to come back. The lower you start the longer it takes.

Two "blips" in five months
Low cd4 count